Each American throws out 81 lbs of clothing per year. This is not sustainable.
circularity is the solution
A circular business mimics nature’s true genius. Our model creates prosperity while maintaining the delicate balance between utilizing resources and regenerating them.
This idea is a drastic shift from the “take-make-waste” linear manufacturing we all currently know.
As we reach the limits of what our environment can handle,
Borobabi is here to help make the shift to a more sustainable future.
THREE KEYS TO A CIRCULAR ECONOMY
Our ethical & sustainable partners respect the land by promoting organic agricultural practices free from toxic pesticides. Seeds grow into soft, natural fibers that are safer for workers & the environment, plus safer for young developing bodies. Our brands carry certifications like organic, GOTS, and OEKO-Tex, which promise the use of non-hazardous chemicals during growing and processing.
We ensure our garments live their best and longest lives. We give families options – you can buy or lease our New or Pre-Loved clothing. We will meet you on the path that works best for you. We extend the life of all our clothing with meticulous cleaning and repair. We provide you a solution to safely return what you no longer need. Borobabi rewards every family to return our garments with a Lifetime Return credit worth 20% of your original purchase price.
Our company designs “waste out” with our sourcing, collection & recycling strategy. We source natural mono-fibers because of their ability to be recycled + composted. We collect our garments through our rental and lifetime return policy, & we make ourselves responsible for recycling. We leverage our partnerships to recycle “best lived” garments back into fiber or safely return them to nature by composting to keep all our products out of landfills.
Our Impact to Date
82 tons of CO2-E savings
Greenhouse gases are emitted during clothing manufacture and disposal.
Borobabi reduces CO2 emissions by:
- Keeping material in use as long as possible & reducing the need to grow materials or make new garments.
- Keeping our clothing out of landfills. Materials decomposing in landfills cause methane release– 25X more potent than primary CO2 emission.
4.8 million gallons of fresh water saved
Fresh water is the largest natural resource used in agriculture, clothing manufacture and clothing usage.
Borobabi saves fresh water by:
- Sourcing fibers that are farmed using organic agricultural practices. When we prohibit toxic pesticide use, we significantly reduce the freshwater required for farming. We also create safer conditions for the workers, the environment, and ultimately a safer product for your growing child.
- Keeping our clothing in use as long as possible. Reuse reduces the freshwater needed to grow or manufacture new garments.
0.1 Tons of clothing diverted from landfill
85% of discarded clothes end up in landfills. Landfill dumping contributes to global warming by the anaerobic decomposition of materials that release methane. As landfill materials decompose, toxic chemical byproducts can run off and contaminate local environments + the water supply.
Borobabi avoids landfilling by:
- Partnering with companies that recycle mono-fibers back into useable fiber for new materials.
- Partnering with local composters who safely return our end-of-life clothing back to nature without jeopardizing soil health.